[CentOS] using CentOS as an iSCSI server?

Jonathan Moore supermegatron at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:31:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can, if you connect the iscsi block devices into one machine that can
> combine them in one or more md raid devices, put a filesystem on them, and
> export via nfs and/or smb to the systems that want shared space.  However, the

If you did this, took a handful of machines, exported their storage
via iSCSI and had
a single server taking each of those iSCSI exported drives and
combining into a single
giant md device, would the theory of redundancy still hold?

Say, I had 4 devices with 500 GB drives exported using iSCSI.  If a
single larger server
took those four iSCSI export drives, and created one md RAID 5 device,
could a single
server be turned off, and just degrade the array until it was either
replaced entirely
or brought back online?

-jonathan