[CentOS] Missing virtio-win in CentOS 5.4

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 14:29:59 UTC 2009

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 04:14:00PM +0200, Sebastian Marten wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I Installed 5.4 on a test system to use KVM, but i didn't find the
>> "virtio-win" package with the Windows drivers.
>>

> Looks like these are provided via the RHN Supplementary Channel.  I'd
> imagine they are not freely distributable?
>
> I'm sure someone else can confirm.
>
> Ray

There are freely redistributable, but still they aren't published by upstream. You
can use these instead:
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/windows-binary-virtio-drivers-finally-released, but
there are a lot of problems with any windows 64 bits. And another problem, a big
really, is that you can¡t install a windows kvm guest directly to a virtio disk.
First you need to install to an ide disk, after generate a virtio disk and attach to
win guest, install the virtio driver and last remove ide drive ... very very ugly.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com