[CentOS] [SOLVED] CentOS-5.4 Update?

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Oct 22 19:43:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, October 22, 2009 15:34, James B. Byrne wrote:
> hdwr HPQ DC7700S ix86 Core Duo
>
> I have just updated this CentOS-5.3 box to 5.4.  This process was
> not satisfactory.

> I would like to get my previous customised desktops back, but first
> I would like to get the default to display. Are there any ideas on
> how to proceed?

On a hunch I did a 'yum list gno\* | more' and discovered that
gnome-session was not installed.  Installing gnome-session, as you
may imagine, solved the problem of the missing desktops.

Now the question is: how it is that an update can remove the
gnome-session package without first installing its replacement, if
indeed gnome-session was part of the update at all?

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3