[CentOS] Switch to measure traffic at IP level?

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Fri Oct 23 15:40:07 UTC 2009

> Can one setup a Linux server to offer sflow? If the Linux host can run
> sflow, then it's easy to capture the bandwidth usage on the host?

That is a good idea.  Since we have to have the host OS running,
it might be able to do the collection activities for us.

If anyone has a soution for this, I am interested in more info.

> I'm sitting with the same problem, and rely on snmpd on each VPS, but this
> isn't ideal - especially if clients disable snmpd

I agree.  I do not want a solution that depends on software
installed on the guest since the client has control of that.

	Neil

Will your e-commerce site go offline if you have
a DB server failure, fiber cut, flood, fire, or other disaster?
If so, ask about our geographically redundant database system.