[CentOS] Running SSH on a different port

Philip Gwyn liste at artware.qc.ca
Sat Oct 24 19:02:14 UTC 2009

On 24-Oct-2009 Oliver Ransom wrote:
> I don't think there are any ramifications/disadvantages of running the
> SSH daemon on a non standard port.

Running sshd on a non-standard port is highly useful ; I always have 2
seperate sshd instances.  One on 22 and one on 222.  This way, if I muck up an
sshd upgrade, or config change, I can always get in through the other instance
on 222.

It is important to keep the 2 instances seperate, with serperate startup
scripts and binaries (as in, cp /sbin/sshd /sbin/sshd222)

-Philip