[CentOS] Running SSH on a different port (with SELinux)

Jorge Fábregas

jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 18:08:28 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

Now after the recent discussion on running SSH on a different port,  I decided
to start a new thread but with SELinux involved.

Assuming that you have SELinux enabled, and that you changed the default port
for SSHD, let say for 1234, when I restart SSHD I don't get any AVC denials.

This is the output of:  semanage -l port | grep ssh
ssh_port_t                     tcp      22

I thought (based on previous SELinux readings) that in order to allow SSHD on
a non-default port you needed to:

semanage port -a -t ssh_port_t -p tcp 1234

That was the theory I read :) Now in practice it seems it is not implemented
yet, or at least by the time RHEL5 came out. Does anyone knows?

All the best,
Jorge