[CentOS] Inquiry:External USB modem and Remote PC Access?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:40:58 UTC 2009

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you very much for your help . Can you please do me favor and
> confirm if the scenario works when both ends are as CentOS (I mean my
> CentOS server at the office connected to the telephone line and the
> remote CentOS client at the far site that we need to have remote access
> to it) ?
> Thank you in advance

Running mgetty on the answering side will work with Centos running some dial-out
terminal application like kermit, minicom, or cu.  But what you'll get is a
separate command line login, not a GUI desktop or copy of what is on the
console.  If you want more than that, you might set up dial-in PPP so you can
treat the connection as a network address with all the usual tools.  I'm not
sure if this is exactly right for Centos but it should be close:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_dialin_server.  Mgetty should be able to detect
if you are using dial-up networking from the other end and permit connection
either way.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com