[CentOS] Locales and filenames

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Tue Oct 27 18:16:03 UTC 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 13:40, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> I vaguely remember Mac uses UTF-16 as default encoding. This could be
> the source of your problem.

Forget I said anything about the Mac; I'm only using it to write
these emails.  The file in question was completely created on Linux.
The filename contains the character 0xE7 (c with cedilla) and the
file itself contains the character 0xED (i acute).  Neither character
is displayed correctly using ls (filename) or cat (content), but I
can look at the file with vim.  Here is some output cut&pasted from
my xterm window to illustrate the issue:

bash-3.2$ ls -l XXX*
-rw-r--r-- 1 av16209 GRP-HEPDSW 22 oct 27 14:11 XXX?
bash-3.2$ cat test.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo "This is an i acute: � > XXX�
                                   bash-3.2$