[CentOS] Inquiry:External USB modem and Remote PC Access?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Oct 27 20:06:46 UTC 2009

John R Pierce wrote:
> ... over a 28k dialup?

I meant to mention..   Even if your modems are '56k', that only works
when a 56k modem dials into a digital modem on a digital trunk line.
two '56k' modems dialing each other over conventional analog telephone
("POTS") circuits will get at best 33k, and more likely somewhere
between 14k and 28k if the lines are remote and rural.

btw, re someone elses comment about 'you kids'... Would you like to see
the old Racal Vadic VA1200 in my junk bin?  I think I still have a
Courier 2400E, too.  The OP has repeatedly stated he wants his full
CentOS Desktop, presumably Gnome or KDE, and not just a remote terminal
session, or even a X application.