[CentOS] printers... (HP)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 29 18:53:33 UTC 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009 18:35:56 m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I can't remember if I asked here - I've got more than one printer, HP,
> laser, builtin JetDirect. When I go there in a browser, I see the basic
> thing, but I can't get to the networking page. It says that it wants a
> password, no user name. It doesn't accept anything. Last week, a co-worker
> reset one to factory defaults... and it comes up with the same thing.
> Looking around on the Web, I don't see anything about a default password.
>
> Clues for the poor?

Have you tried installing hplip?  You'll have to check whether the CentOS
package is late enough to support your printers, and you may have to download
a ppd file, but I find it works very well here.  I have a mfp, JetDirect,
connected by wireless, and a Deskjet 990CXi by usb to my laptop.  I've also
used the Deskjet on another box connected to the LAN.  The setup tool sees
them both, and providing it can find the ppd it's really easy.  (IIRC the
CentOS package didn't support my mfp, but just pointing it to the .ppd was
sufficient to get it working.)

Anne