[CentOS] VMware Server 2.0.1 On CentOS 5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 20:19:21 UTC 2009

John R Pierce wrote:

>> It's my understanding that CentOS is a carbon copy of Red Hat - with
>> the exception of the art work. Assuming that this is true, the support
>> matrix for VMware Server 2.0.1 states Red Hat 5.1.  I cannot seem to
>> locate a CentOS 5.1 x86-64 copy.  I can get a copy of 5.3 and 5.4.  If
>> I take this route, what should I expect running VMware 2.0.1?
> my experience with VMWare Server 2.0.x on x86_64 platforms is abysmal.
> its totally unstable and unusable, on both Linux (RHEL 5.x) and Windows
> Vista 64bit, even if you are just running 32bit VMs.

I don't like the change to a web based console in the 2.x series so I'm
still mostly using 1.x versions (and I've had some things running under
Centos 3.x/VMware 1.x for years with no issues).  But, I hadn't seen any
real problems with the 2.0.1 version before the glibc change in the 5.4
upgrade.  What kind of trouble did you have?

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com