[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Thu Oct 1 06:37:19 UTC 2009
Chan Chung Hang Christopher <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

>> When you say go voip, do you mean use sip for the stations only or also
>> for the trunks?
>>

> My experience (and the experience of those I know) is that SIP trunks
> don't really work consistently. But, when I say I need to learn VOIP
> I'm mostly talking about the station side. My goal is to learn enough
> to build Asterisk boxes to replace key systems. I like the idea of
> Asterisk because it can use standard trunks for critical lines and SIP
> trunks for specialized purposes or overflow. (At least that's what I
> *think* it can do.)

Ah, well, if you want to keep the landlines, then yeah, I guess asterisk
is the way to go. If your goal is to replace keyline systems, then
asterisk definitely has that kind of support which, it appears, even
Cisco's solution does not (from the mouth of Datacraft Asia personnel
selling the school Cisco's voip solution).

It can certainly do what you said about using standard trunks for
critical lines (extra 'switch' to a plain pots phone on the trunk line
in case you lose all power) and sip trunks for specialized purposes or
overflow.