[CentOS] Bond Issues

Tue Oct 6 16:08:10 UTC 2009
Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>

I have a machine I just deployed w/ tg3 interfaces, I have setup bonding
on this same line of server (HP DL380 G4) a million times. I saw there were
changes recently to how you configure a bond and have my setup configured
according to: http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-7431

The HP switch has a LACP trunk defined on the two ports. Problem is, when
rebooting, I need to issue a `service network restart` to gain connectivity?
There is nothing in messages that looks wrong? Anyone have an idea?

kernel: Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.4.0 (October 7, 2008)
kernel: bonding: Warning: either miimon or arp_interval and arp_ip_target module parameters must be specified, otherwise bonding will not detect link fail
kernel: bonding: bond0: setting mode to 802.3ad (4).
kernel: bonding: bond0: Setting MII monitoring interval to 500.
kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): bond0: link is not ready
kernel: bonding: bond0: Adding slave eth0.
kernel: bonding: bond0: enslaving eth0 as a backup interface with a down link.
kernel: bonding: bond0: Adding slave eth1.
kernel: bonding: bond0: enslaving eth1 as a backup interface with a down link.
kernel: tg3: eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
kernel: tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
kernel: bonding: bond0: link status definitely up for interface eth0.
kernel: tg3: eth1: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
kernel: tg3: eth1: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
kernel: bonding: bond0: link status definitely up for interface eth1.
kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): bond0: link becomes ready

#cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:14:C2:C2:BB:13
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

eth1 looks similar...

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0

# Bond with tg3 based BCM5704 nics eth0 and eth1
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.0.14
NETMASK=255.255.255.0