[CentOS] Problems printing landscapes in AR

Thu Oct 15 03:53:32 UTC 2009
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

I have the L&G (AFAIK) Adobe Acrobat Reader, 9.1.0, on my 5.3 x86_64
machine, but it seems to be incapable of printing some landscape-mode
PDFs.  I created them by printing some wide graphics (PNG) files to
PDF files from the image viewer, and that didn't work - AR prints them
ONLY in portrait mode, no matter how the portrait-landscape is set,
and no matter how it is displayed.  Then I tried converting the
graphics to PDFs using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (yeah, I know it's
old, but it's free and it works for some things the GIMP won't do,
like making graphics into PDFs) on my virtual WinXP SP2 "box" and got
the same results.

To my surprise, if I just print the PNGs from the image viewer, they
print in landscape mode just fine (although they display in
pseudo-portrait mode as counter-clockwise rotated images).

Anyone got a clue why this might be?  I blew away the PDFs that
wouldn't print ('cuz I was pissed) but I can recreate them if needed.
And, no, I'm not interested in tiff2pdf - it made enormous PDFs (4-10x
original file size) out of every TIF I've tried with it, and APE2
makes little ones that are just as good _and_ smaller.

Thanks.

mhr