[CentOS] Openfiler question - fiber channel?

Tue Oct 20 17:51:32 UTC 2009
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

Hey folks,

I don't seem to be able to get a response from the openfiler forums
(and they want 40 quid for the fine manual!), and since there has been
a lot of chat about it here lately, I figured I'd ask here.

Please forgive my terminology as I am just making my first baby steps
into iSCSI and Fiber Channel, and am not very well read on the
matters.   So I could be using the wrong terms (anyone got a good
primer to recommend?)

It seems straightforward that I can install openfiler to server iSCSI
disks out over the network.  And it seems obvious to me that I'd want
a dedicated network for doing that.   That part is easy.

But based on some poking around on the openfiler site and in the
forums, it looks to me like it might be possible to stick a fiber
channel card into an openfiler system, and serve fiberchannel out to
other systems?   Is that right?  Is anyone here doing this?

This does tie back in to CentOS directly because most of my systems
are CentOS, and I'd eventually like to migrate them in this direction,
depending on what comes of my benchmarking

thanks,
-Alan