[CentOS] [Slightly OT] Data Preservation

Fri Oct 2 20:15:07 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

ML wrote:
> HI All,
>
> So I have 5 1U servers (running Windows) that have Ultra 320 SCSI
> Drives in them.
>
> The owner of these boxes wants the drives captured in their current
> states to .iso or .cdr or something where if the need arises the data
> can be viewed, used again, etc.
>
> So what is the best approach? Boot from a Live CD, hook up a USB
> external HD and do what? Can I create a .iso or .cdr (or some other
> portable format) and have it created on the external USB?
>
> Thoughts on this process would be appreciated.

if they are windows servers, I think I'd use a windows tool to backup a
file system level image of the disks, perhaps from a live CD (bartPE,
UBCD4Win), or by temporarily installing the drives onto another Windows
system.    however, this gets quite complicated if they are using any
sort of raid.

Using DVD-ROM as the backup media will only hold 4.3 or 8.4(?) GB of
data per disk, is that adequate?  The alternative is a USB external HD,
as you indicated.   I think I'd use Windows NTBACKUP if you don't have
Acronis TrueImage or other backup software.