[CentOS] [Solved] Excessive NFS operations

Sat Oct 3 15:24:04 UTC 2009
lhecking at users.sourceforge.net <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net>

> >>   Maybe it is updating the access time on each read or something that
> >> causes the activity.
> >
> > It is either re-reading the files or checking mod times to determin
> > if the local cached copy is valid. Either way, lots of traffic.
>
> And this was hundreds of ops/second?

 I need to ppoint out that the retieval script was running on a RHEL3
 machine. The filer NFS load was registered from a CentOS5 machine,
 and the only connection between the two were one or more vnc sessions.
 I cannot explain what happened, other than the observation that the
 excessive NFS access from the CentOS machine stopped when we disabled
 that screensaver on RHEL3.