[CentOS] [Slightly OT] Data Preservation - More

Sat Oct 3 15:54:28 UTC 2009
ML <mailinglists at MailNewsRSS.com>

Hi Robert,

> There are *probably* two file systems: /boot on a regular partition
> (probably the first partition on the hard drive) and / on
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00.  You'll have to look at /etc/fstab closely.
> There might be more than two file systems -- eg /home, etc. on its own
> file system.
>
> It should be possible to boot into single user mode.  In single user
> mode it won't even try to bring up the network and won't have DNS
> issues.  When grub starts, hit the 'Any Key' and then edit (e) the
> boot
> command and add 'single' to the end of the kernel line and boot that.
> The advantage of booting the native O/S (in single user mode) is that
> you will see exactly what the file system layout is, instead of having
> to poke around and possibly miss something important.

OK, I booted into single user mode and when starting up I see that it
says /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 has two volumes.

it the checks /boot and I am at sh-3.00#

in /etc/fstab I see:
/dev/VolGroup00-LogVol00	/		ext3	[snip]
Label=/boot				/boot	ext3 [snip]
none					/dev/pts
none					/dev/shm
none					/proc
none					/sys
/dev/VolGroup00-LogVol01	swap
/dev/hda					/media/cdrecorder
/dev/sdb1					/media/usbdisk

So if I understand this I can just go after / doing rsync -av?

Thank you for the help thus far!

-Jason