[CentOS] How fast?

Tue Oct 6 03:02:11 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On 10/5/09, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
> little else.  This little box is just being used as a dialup 'router'.
> It is jacked into a wireless 'router', but the wireless router is just
> being used as an accesspoint and Ethernet switch (this is a home setup
> -- broadband is not presently available, only dialup internet).

Do any of the cell phone operators in your area use the GSM
technology? If so, they  may offer HSDPA Internet service too.  I
would like to ditch our ADSL (the only wired broadband available in
our rural subdivision at this time), to get rid of the infrastructure
problems and prefer WiMAX, which isn't available where we live (Cali
was one of the first cities to have WiMAX).  Netgear makes an HSDPA to
Ethernet modem, but I don't think they sell them in the USA or down
here.  If you can get HSDPA, that would probably be a huge speed
increase for your home network.  The HSDPA speed at our house, at this
time, is slower than our ADSL, but if I had one of those Netgear
modems, we'd make the switch.  The 3 cell phone operators in Colombia
are all using GSM now and all 3 offer HSDPA Internet access, but their
normal method is a USB device that only runs on Windows or a Mac,
which is only good for one box and not for a Linux box. The Netgear
HSDPA to Ethernet modem would eliminate that problem. Possibly the
CDMA cell phone operators in your area also offer Internet access?