[CentOS] More about firewalling

Tue Oct 6 17:02:09 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

ML wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So before when I used PIX's for my employer, our traffic was
> statically routed to one IP and then the firewall decided if allowed/
> denied and passed it on or dropped it.
>
> I have a Comcast business circuit with 13 IP's. The gateway device
> they provide is a 'pass through' device. They sent traffic for all 13
> IP's my way. It just allows traffic through. So if I put in a device
> to firewall (like Ipcop or Vyatta or something) in front, say it has 3
> NICS, how do I do that?
>
> If the Firewall has IP A and Traffic for IP B comes in how would IP A
> answer and decide if the traffic to IP B belonged?  Without statically
> routing I am confused on how to accomplish this?
>
> How fast does this device need to be?

Have you logged into the Comcast device to see what options it offers for
firewalling and portforwarding itself?  They may not all be the same, but the
one's I've seen do NAT as well as pass-through of the public addresses and have
some other options that may be all you need.  A google search should turn up the
login and password you need for access if you don't already have it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com