[CentOS] How fast?

Wed Oct 7 18:51:54 UTC 2009

> On Oct 6, 2009, at 2:23 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:

I've got an ancient box (over 10 years old), running an old version of
*Redhat* (not RHEL or Fedora). It's fine... but then, I have *no* X on it,
*no* compilers, no next to nothing - all it is, is a firewall/router.

If that's all you put on, shouldn't be a big deal on an older system. The
only thing I'd consider putting a compiler on it for is to build chkroot.

>> If I may suggest Smoothwall for a firewall appliance...? This is a
>> specialty
>> distro, IPCop is another similar distro. Smoothwall's even got a
<snip>
> i know I used to use a Linux PC as a firewall for my home system.
> Back before the inexpensive routers, and before the fairly easy to
> find specialty loads.  The thing that got me away from it was it was
<snip>
Yeah, my box is getting *really* long in the tooth, and I'm starting to
think of replacing it (after I get done bleeding money from my *just*
finished relo). I know what its replacement will be, though: WRT54GL. I
want the control that linux running on there gives me, so I can manage it,
and upgrade, rather than what the OEM thinks is important.

        mark