[CentOS] 10 Year old IT Infrastructure

Sat Oct 10 17:21:14 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Shawn Everett wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for their comments so far.
>
> The "server" in question is a basic 2 node cluster connected to an MSA500.
>
> It runs a variety of applications including Oracle, Apache, Samba, and a
> proprietary app built by another vendor.
>
> The hardware is monitored, maintained and backed up regularly.
>
> The setup is mission critical to my client.  They spent a lot of time and
> money to make sure it wouldn't go down.

Will you still be able to get hardware support and repair parts 10 years out?
And even if you can, you may reach the point before 10 years where it would be
cheaper to replace than maintain.  If you are paying for support, that's just
going to cover repair/replacement of the nearly obsolete component - and newer
equipment takes a lot less power for the same capacity.

> The list's point is well taken that old *nix installs are very reliable
> long term.  I've had similar experiences.  Given this particular client's
> need for a reliable, stable, redundant system, I was contemplating
> alternatives or future upgrades rather than letting things age.

I'd consider 5+ years to be a reasonable expectation - 10 is possible but a
stretch.  You'll definitely be exposed to new security vulnerabilities that may
  be discovered beyond the update support cycle on the OS so it doesn't fit in
any sort of "best practices" concepts, especially if there is any
internet/remote exposure.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com