[CentOS] 10 Year old IT Infrastructure

Sat Oct 10 20:33:45 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Brian Mathis wrote:
> Also, when I say "describe what would happen", I'm not talking about
> how a board might blow a capacitor, I'm talking about how you will
> react and what the impact is on the business during that time

double or triple your support contract rates for systems deemed past
EOSL, AND have no guarantees, just best effort.

another side effect of hanging onto old legacy business systems, it can
become increasingly hard to migrate the data from the old software
system to a new one the older they get.   and if they wait til the
legacy hardware has completely failed, it can become even harder.
throw in things like old backup media formats (i'd hate to have to find
a reader taht could read QIC tapes from a SCO system written by some
funky proprietary business software written 25 years ago).   Its MUCH
easier to migrate to a new system if the old system can be run in
parallel during the transition period.