[CentOS] Copy OS live to different hardware

Tue Oct 13 11:29:31 UTC 2009
Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at>

Bob Puff wrote:

> Hello,

> My question: exactly what files should I exclude, so that I copy
> everything -except- what pertains to the ethernet card(s), and hard
> drive mounts.  I know of at least:
>
> /etc/fstab
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*
> /var/run
> /proc

I am not sure what you want to achieve, but if you want just to Backup,
maybe specialized Backup Software like Bacula (http://www.bacula.org/)
could be a better solution for you (Sorry, could not resist ;-)

That said, if you want to do it that way, my exclude list (maybe) could
be:

/etc/mtab
/etc/ssh/*_key{,.pub}
/etc/hosts (maybe)
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-* (not sure, maybe other files too)
/proc/*
/selinux/*
/sys/*
/dev/*
/tmp/*
/*lost+found/* (maybe)
/.auto*

If the partition Layout differs
/etc/fstab
and not lost+found for not existing file systems maybe.

Well, I done that years ago multiple times for one shot cloning not for
regular Backups and i remember beeing surprised that it worked, its kinda
hackish i believe. I am sure i forgot something important paths in list
above.

--
best regards,
markus