[CentOS] timekeeping on VMware guests

Wed Oct 14 15:55:40 UTC 2009
Carlos Santana <neubyr at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 09:41:52AM -0500, Carlos Santana wrote:
>> The CentOS wiki link I mentioned [
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/VMWare_Server ], has instructions
>> adapted from VMware knowledge base link mentioned by many of you [
>> http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427 ].
>>
>> I have followed the instructions on CentOS wiki, but it doesn't seem
>> to work. Most of the suggestions here are same as mentioned in the
>> CentOS wiki/VMware knowledge base.  Any comments or suggestions?
>
> (Most people prefer you don't top post FYI).
>
> Can you describe the steps you took exactly?  And the symptoms you're
> still seeing?
>
> Ray

Following steps were taken to set up my CentOS VM guest (without
vmware-tools installed):

1. Kernel options added as:
divider=10
clocksource=acpi_pm

2. ntp.conf file was modified as per wiki instructions as follows:
(add to the top of the file)
# modification as per http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427
# The configuration directive tinker panic 0 instructs NTP not to give up
# if it sees a large jump in time and must be at the top of the ntp.conf file.
tinker panic 0
# end of mod

(comment out 2 lines as below)
# modification as per http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427
# It is also important not to use the local clock as a time source,
# often referred to as the Undisciplined Local Clock. NTP has a
# tendency to fall back to this in preference to the remote servers
# The following 2 lines commented out.

# when there is a large amount of time drift.
# server        127.127.1.0     # local clock
# fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

3. Create /etc/ntp/step-tickers and add these lines:
0.centos.pool.ntp.org
1.centos.pool.ntp.org

Any missing pointers..?

Thanks,