[CentOS] CentOS 5.4? anyone? - "debate"

Thu Oct 15 19:49:44 UTC 2009
Miguel Di Ciurcio Filho <miguel at ic.unicamp.br>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> I think for a lot of us, the 'we'll release when it's ready' mentality
> is the main reason we aren't using debian.  I don't think CentOS should
> repeat their mistakes.

So what do you suggest? Release the OS with known problems, just to
satisfy a date and the hysteria caused by Twitter updates? Or release
something that truly works and it is _very_ reliable? I stay with the
'we'll release when it's ready'.

You are not using Debian nor Ubuntu because you can rely on CentOS for
having all the RHEL goodies for free and thank god CentOS' developers do
think the 'we'll release when it's ready' philosophy. What RPM/Red
Hat-like Linux distribution provides at least ~30 months of security
updates and is free of charge (like Debian)? Lets see:

Fedora: extremely cutting edge, constant updates during life cycle,
12-13 months support.

OpenSUSE: I don't know how cutting edge it is, was 24 months of support,
new releases will be ~18 months now.

Mandriva: I don't know how cutting edge it is, 18 months.

Too me all of this distributions are completely out of question to use
on a server.