[CentOS] CentOS 5.4? anyone?

Fri Oct 16 18:44:21 UTC 2009
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Les Mikesell wrote:

> R P Herrold wrote:

>> and 'best-efforts' is a SLA concept -- if an SLA is needed,
>> you already know the answer

> It's also the sort of thing people in a community try to do
> for each other without needing legal terms for enforcement.

You raise a new argument, an orthogonal strawman, as is your
wont, switching to 'try to do' -- I'll close the old one
first.  'best efforts' means 'stay at the post until properly
relieved' That is not generally compatible with a 'when it is
right' ship criteria.

'best efforts' is certainly not something compatible for
third-parties to demand in the context of a 'social voluntary'
effort using non-paid staffing and absent privity.  'best
efforts' may in fact be freely given, but to foster or further
an 'expectation mentality' is to deny reality and to set up
false expectations.

Turning to the lesser standard of 'try to do', we are back to
the circumstance of the a third party projecting their
expectations into an objective reality, talking endlessly
about it but doing nothing, and then being disappointed when
the desired outcome does not appear

Sorry:  we don't have a magic pink pony for such people here.

-- Russ herrold