[CentOS] Passenger Best Practice

Sun Oct 18 20:04:58 UTC 2009
Stephen Nelson-Smith <stephen at atalanta-systems.com>

Hi
,
> I used the guide found here
> http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/UsingPassenger on a RHEL 5
> server with success. You'll see that most things are installed via yum
> repositories except for rack and passenger, which are installed as
> ruby gems. You'll probably find better answers for this type of
> questions and any issues you might run into during implementation on
> the puppet users mailing list (
> http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users)

Thanks.  I've done this before - I don't actually need help with
getting Passenger installed - I could do it any number of ways.

What I am saying is that I would like to manage the whole process
using RPMs - I'd rather not have to manage gems as well as RPMs, or
have things built from source, or have tarballs to distribute.  I've
seen or heard of several Ruby EE rpms, and I don't know or trust the
provenance of the mod_rails RPM is found via google.  I don't know if
any of them are recommended.

If anyone on the list has done this already, and a reasonable body of
people trust the results, I'm happy to use that.  Otherwise I'm happy
to do it myself and share the results with the project - all assuming
the general consensus is that my intended approach - using RPMs for
everything - is wise.

Thanks,

S.