[CentOS] Monitoring a remote server with Conky ?

Mon Oct 19 12:46:47 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Conky for some time, a nifty utility to monitor just
> about anything on the PC. Vital things like CPU, RAM, swap, disks,
> current song playing in MPD :o)
>
> Here's what it looks like :
>
> http://www.microlinux.fr/images/bureau_conky.png
>
> And with more detail :
>
> http://www.microlinux.fr/images/conky_zoom.png
>
> Now I wonder... I'd really like to use that to monitor my remote server.
> I know this feature isn't officially supported by Conky, but I'm right
> now thinking about a workaround. Something like: OK, my server is
> 'headless' (e. g.: no graphical server, nothing), but why not install
> just xorg-x11-server-Xorg, then use Conky and forward it to my local
> display with SSH -X ? I'm pondering this question, thinking about the
> possible issues...
>
> ... so maybe one of you guys here has come up with some solution ?

If you use X remotely much, just take the whole desktop with freenx on the
server and the NX client that you can download from http://www.nomachine.com.

It is very efficient and lets you disconnect/reconnect with everything still
running, even from a different client - or even platform.

==
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com