[CentOS] Created a DVD from Gnome Desktop -CentOS-5.3

Tue Oct 20 23:13:15 UTC 2009
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 10/20/2009 10:44 AM Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> James B. Byrne wrote:
>> I am trying to put the dvd iso image of CentOS-5.4 onto a DVD.  I
>> have an LG multi-writer installed.  I have used this device on this
>> host to created CDs in the past but this is my first attempt at
>> creating a dvd.
>>
>> When I put a blank DVD-R media in the drive then I see a desktop
>> icon for "CD-ROM Disc" created.  When I open the bittorent folder
>> and click on the iso image "CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso" then I am
>> prompted to open the image with "CD/DVD Creator".  When I do this
>> then I get a new window opened with the image file in the lower
>> portion and an entry at the top labelled:
>>
>> CD/DVS Creator Folder and a button labled "Write to Disc"
>>

>> When I click on write to disc I am prompted to either create from
>> image or create from file.  I select image and am propted for the
>> speed. I select maximum possible (the default) and press the write
>> button.  I get this error:
>>
>> Insert a rewritable or blank disc
>>
>> Please put a disc, with at least 4.3 GiB free, into the drive.  The
>> following disc types are supported:
>> DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
>>
>> I get the same thing if I use a DVD-RAM.  What is going on?  I have
>> used the same model dvd writer on a MSWindows stations and have
>> created readible dvds therefrom.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to proceed?
>>

> probably not really the solution you were asking for, but you could try
> with k3b (yum install k3b).
> I haven't tried it with the C5.4 iso yet but it usually works great for me.

I use k3b also and it works pretty good most of the time.  When it
doesn't, I use cdrecord from the command line.  I've tried the gnome
burner, but could never figure out how to get it to work.  The UI needs
more work IMO.