[CentOS] Switch to measure traffic at IP level?

Fri Oct 23 14:14:32 UTC 2009
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Neil Aggarwal wrote:
>> Nate:
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  I am looking into it
>> now.
>>
>> Currently, I use Cacti to graph the data coming
>> from my switches.  Do you know if that will that
>> work with any of these switches?
>
> Cacti will work for port based monitoring, it won't work
> for flow-based monitoring though.
>
> http://www.sflow.org/products/collectors.php
>
> ntop would probably be the main "free" flow based monitor,
> though there are some really really nice commercial
> products.
>
> Inmon has a couple free tools as well sflowtrend, and another
> command line tool which can dump the contents of sflow data
> to STDOUT for parsing by a script.
>
> nate

Can one setup a Linux server to offer sflow? If the Linux host can run
sflow, then it's easy to capture the bandwidth usage on the host? I'm
sitting with the same problem, and rely on snmpd on each VPS, but this
isn't ideal - especially if clients disable snmpd

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers