[CentOS] What about port mirroring? (Was: Switch to measure traffic at IP level)

Fri Oct 23 17:15:55 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Neil Aggarwal wrote:
>> yeah, a 1gig port can't handle all the traffic from N 1gig
>> ports.  heck,
>> ti can't even handle all the traffic from a single full
>> duplex connection
>
> That is a good point.  My traffic is light right now
> so I might be able to use it until the traffic grows.

What kind of internet bandwidth do you have - that's going to be a limiting
factor anyway.  I've had some trouble keeping ntop running for long intervals
but there are ways to database collected results so you could restart it without
losing data.  I'm not sure if it has a 95th percentile calculation, but it can
summarize in a lot of other ways.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com