[CentOS] Need some help with logwatch.

Fri Oct 23 18:50:46 UTC 2009
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

lists-centos wrote:
> Do you really have the comment on the line with the command in the
> second one? That's not allowed, and will mess things up, see the
> crontab(5) man page - second paragraph under "description".
>
> If you have that comment there it's hard to tell exactly what will
> happen in terms of addressing.
>
>     - Rick

Regardless of what the man page says in practice bash treats everything
after a # as a comment.  Most of my crontab entries on various hosts
have comments appended and they all work, for example this one from host3:

45 7 * * * /usr/sbin/logwatch --service http --service imapd --service
pop3 --service sshd --service vsftpd --service zz-disk_space --mailto
support at harte-lyne.ca #Daily Logwatch report on server access services.

In any case, removing the comment from the crontab entry on the host in
question does not change the behaviour. The logwatch report is still
mailed to root at host2.harte-lyne.ca

Sincerely,