[CentOS] Running SSH on a different port

Sat Oct 24 14:36:37 UTC 2009
Kevin Krieser <k_krieser at sbcglobal.net>

As mentioned previously, requiring certificates, and not allowing
interactive logins, is safest.

But even if you decide to allow interactive logins, there are things
you SHOULD do.

Disable admin/root login.

Update sshd so that only named users can login via SSH, all other
users that might be on the system cannot login.

Require SSH 2 as mentioned in another email.

it probably helps too if the named user isn't a "common" name, like
mark, etc, like I've seen in logs when I've perused them.

Running firewall tools that block IP addresses with several failed
attempts.

And, of course, a strong password.

I've never setup certificates for my private, personal, use to my
box.  But I've disabled root login, only 1 account can connect, ssh2
is required, I don't use a "common" name,.  An I have a strong password.