[CentOS] Bypass Hung Applications At Boot So System Can Complete The Boot Process

Sun Oct 25 20:23:06 UTC 2009
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

During boot, you'll see (for a real brief moment), something to the
effect "press I for interactive startup...".

A few seconds after pressing it, you will be prompted to load services
with a y/n.

Once in Ubuntu, I entered rescue mode by entering grub startup options
at the command prompt, namely single user mode but I can't recall
exactly how I did this  I imagine it would apply to any Linux distro.

For me, sendmail and other network services (not NFS though) took
forever to load because of fubar'd network stuff.