[CentOS] OT: pager pay

Mon Oct 26 02:24:20 UTC 2009
Nifty Cluster Mitch <niftycluster at niftyegg.com>

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:02:26PM -0700, Drew wrote:

> Like Max I don't have "pager pay" but I do get paid for call outs.
>
> My phone is fully paid for (approx $60/m) and call outs are paid at
> time and a half (Sunday is double time), minimum one hour. All travel
> time is considered call out time and mileage is eligible for $0.50/km.
>
> I'm on call 7am to 9pm Mon-Sat and I usually work 7am-5pm Mon-Fri.

For goodness sake keep a log.
"On call" jobs often violate state and federal rules
for exempt and non-exmpt status.   Mileage for the second
trip to the office should be compensated in some cases.

The reason for a log is multi-fold the most important
one is at review time but also in the case of a "restructuring" ;-).

In some cases the key is the nature of the leash.   If they restrict
your travel or lifestyle there may be a problem.   You cannot
travel down the road three hours to watch your kid play sports.
Or if they restrict you from having a beer or make it impossible
to go ice fishing....

If you fix it over the phone or Internet but do not get 'paid'.
Most of the issues have surfaced with nurses and other health care
folk but if you are IT at a hospital and your on-call comp plan
is widely different from other professionals -- pay attention.