[CentOS] find out which website is used for sending email?

Tue Oct 27 07:33:09 UTC 2009
Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com>

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> Peter Peltonen wrote:
>> I got a report that my CentOS 5.4 is used for sending spam.
>>
>> >From sendmail maillog I can see that apache has been sending a lot of
>> email to suspicious addresses.
>>
>> Probably one of the many Apache virtual hosts I have is used for
>> sending spam. But how to find out which one?
>>

> the maillog should show where the messages are coming from

They just say that Apache is sending them, so I cannot pinpoint the
virtual host.

But apparanelty I can force (override) the sender in the VirtualHost
with this line:

  php_admin_value sendmail_path  "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f
emailcop at doimanname"

where you replace domainname with the one in the virtual host. This
will then show up in the maillog.

Now I just have to wait and watch the maillog...

Best,
Peter