[CentOS] Locales and filenames

Tue Oct 27 15:48:35 UTC 2009
Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com>

On Oct 27, 2009, at 10:51, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> [kikinovak at babasse:~] $ touch "Fichier encodé en français"
> [kikinovak at babasse:~] $ touch "Wie heißt diese Datei denn bloß äh"
> [kikinovak at babasse:~] $ ls F* W*
> Fichier encodé en français  Wie heißt diese Datei denn bloß äh

To be honest, I don't even know how to create those characters on the
command line on Linux (I am writing this on a Mac where I know how to
generate characters using the option key).  However, I have an
existing file on Linux that has the problem I described.  If you must
know, I wrote a small shell script that creates this file by cutting
and pasting non-ASCII characters from the iso_8859-1 man page.

> What's your current system-wide locale ?

en_US.UTF-8

In case you are wondering why I am asking about this when I don't
even know how to type these characters, is that I have a user who
wants to be able to use non-ASCII characters in file names.

Thanks,
Alfred