[CentOS] question about mounting external USB HD

Thu Oct 29 05:39:17 UTC 2009
Ivan Arteaga <iarteaga at cwpanama.net>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Ivan Arteaga wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a server running CentOS 4.7 and I want to add a new USB-HD for
>> backup some data. I made the file system as ext3 with the command:
>> /
>> mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1/
>>
>> After that I did add a new Volume Group and Logical Volume
>> (/VolGrup01-LogVol01) /on that file system and mounted it as /backup. It
>> worked fine but when I did reboot the server It wont mount /backup and I
>> got the following error even after the system boots and I try to mount
>> it manually:
>>
>> /mount: special device /dev/VolGrup01/LogVol01 does not exist/
>>
>> I will appreciate any comment or suggestion about the best way to get
>> through this.
>>

> I would *NOT* use LVM on a removable external drive.
>
> if you did a mkfs /dev/sdb1, you should
>
>     # mount /dev/sdb1 /backup
>
> and skip LVM entirely.

John,

I did remove the LVM and mounted the file system i had in /dev/sdb1 as
/backup, It works now...

[root at server]# mount /dev/sdb1 /backup
[root at mail ~]# df -kh
/dev/sdb1             459G  105M  436G   1% /backup
[root at server]#

I cant restart the server now but I will have a maintenance window
tomorrow so I will check after the reboot how it goes... I added it to
/etc/fstab anyway:

//dev/sdb1  /backup  ext3  suid,dev,exec  0  0/

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

--Ivan.