[CentOS] Infrastructure HELP!

Thu Oct 29 18:30:39 UTC 2009
Corey Chandler <lists at sequestered.net>

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, ML wrote:
>

>> My question is about initial setup. The 4 x 1TB drives. How to set
>> this up for I have some protection?
>>
>> RAID 0+1? (striped + mirrored) I would end up with 2TB useable space.
>>
>> RAID 5? so what one is a hot spare? 3TB useable space?
>>
>> What about striping the 4 1TB and mirroring that to a 4 x 1tb External
>> drive enclosure?
>>

> Plan for drives going out but keeping the site operational.  Also
> remember that RAID isn't a backup.
>
> RAID 5 is enticing because you get more usable space out of your
> drives, but you have to be sure you'll only lose one drive at a time
> and can get a replacement drive in there and sync'ed up before you
> lose a 2nd one...  If the drives were made by the same manufacturer
> and were bought at about the same time you might easily lose 2 or
> more, blowing up your array.

Right.  The problem with 1TB drives (and really, any modern drive with
decent capacity) is that you're vulnerable until that array finishes
rebuilding-- a process that's taking longer and longer.

I'd go with the RAID10 solution that someone previously posited.  By the
time you outgrow that, you should really plan for a SAN/NAS solution
anyway...

-- Corey / KB1JWQ