[CentOS] Syslog do not work

Sat Oct 31 01:44:32 UTC 2009
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 15:34 -0500, Tim_Davis at cbca.com wrote:
> [...]
> work,
> this is what the error is "
>
>  Info     Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage "
>  icon
>

> Thanks
> 1.
> [root at bart ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/syslog
> # Options to syslogd
> # -m 0 disables 'MARK' messages.
> # -r enables logging from remote machines
> # -x disables DNS lookups on messages recieved with -r
> # See syslogd(8) for more details
> SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m0 -r"
> # Options to klogd
> # -2 prints all kernel oops messages twice; once for klogd to decode, and
> #    once for processing with 'ksymoops'
> # -x disables all klogd processing of oops messages entirely
> # See klogd(8) for more details
> KLOGD_OPTIONS="-x"
> #
> SYSLOG_UMASK=077
> # set this to a umask value to use for all log files as in umask(1).
> # By default, all permissions are removed for "group" and "other".
>
> 2
> [root at bart ~]# cat /etc/syslog.conf
> # Log all kernel messages to the console.
> # Logging much else clutters up the screen.
> #kern.*                                                 /dev/console
>
> # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
> # Don't log private authentication messages!
> *.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
> /var/log/messages
>
> # The authpriv file has restricted access.
> authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
>
> # Log all the mail messages in one place.
> mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog
>
> # TIM stuff
> *.*;local7.debug;local4.warnings                        /var/log/tim
>
> # Cisco Stuff
> local7.*                                /var/log/cisco
>
> # Log cron stuff
> cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron
>
> # Everybody gets emergency messages
> *.emerg                                                 *
>
> # Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
> uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
>
> # Save boot messages also to boot.log
> local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log
>
> #
> # INN
> #
> news.=crit                                        /var/log/news/news.crit
> news.=err                                         /var/log/news/news.err
> news.notice                                       /var/log/news/news.notice
> [root at bart ~]#
>
> 3
>
> [root at bart ~]# ls
> anaconda-ks.cfg          install.log         webmin-1.490-1.noarch.rpm
> Desktop                  install.log.syslog
----
1 - did you restart syslog after making changes?

/sbin/service sysylog restart

2 - is webmin running ?

# netstat -an |grep 10000
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10000               0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10000               0.0.0.0:*

assuming that you are running IE on a Windows computer (not on the
CentOS server), did you access via?

http://IP_ADDRESS_OF_CENTOS_SERVER:10000

 ||                           webmin uses port 1000
http unless you
had perl-Net-SSLeay package installed and then it would be https

Craig

believed to be clean.