[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 - Activating laptop wireless card

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 19:06:30 UTC 2009

Andrew Allen wrote:
> I've just installed CentOS 5.3 on my Dell laptop and it seems to have
> detected and set-up my wireless card (BCM 4311) correctly as eth1.
> However, so far I haven't been able to activate it and have read the
> wiki
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless#head-320d6fcf09b7e16e0b15d19ef76adcb023a95938
> which indicates that this card isn't actually supported in CentOS - but
> there has been an improvement over earlier kernels because the card
> wasn't even detected in CentOS 5.0. So do I need to get the Windows
> driver from http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and do
> I need ndiswrapper as well?
>
> Andy

That's not a Windows driver, it's a native Linux driver that you sould
download and compile for your kernel. Being a native Linux driver, it
doesn't require ndiswrapper. The ndiswrapper section is the next section
on that Wiki page and is unrelated (is it confusing?).

I believe this topic was also discussed recently on this mailing list (a
few months back iirc).