[CentOS] ls -l output

Jacob Bresciani

Jacob at aers.ca
Thu Sep 3 22:01:31 UTC 2009

OK, this should be an easy fix but I can't find it, and it's strictly
a cosmetic's issue.

on our older Gentoo systems if you do an ls -a it orders the results
with all the . files ordered alphabetically then all the non-hidden
files alphabetically. it also sorts with capitals first.

on the new Centos 5.3 systems ls -a returns all the files sorted
alphabetically with capital's and smalls being equal and the . at the
start of a hidden file appears to be ignored.

There are no alias's in place on either system.

eg.)

Gentoo:
$ ls -a
.  ..  .Xauthority  .bashrc  .omega  Documents  alpha  scripts

Centos: