[CentOS] perplexing permissions issue

Dave

dave.mehler at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 15:03:11 UTC 2009

Hello,
	I have a perplexing permissions problem that i thought i had, but
it's resurfaced.
	I'm running CentOS 5.3 and it runs an apache web server. The
permissions on the web data directory in this case /var/www/secure/data are
set to 4775 owner of apache group of webdev. All users that should be
allowed to place content are in the webdev group. I was under the impression
that any file then placed in that directory would have a owner of apache and
a group of webdev permissions of 664. Whenever a locally logged on user adds
content permissions are set to 664 but owner and group membership are that
of the user who added the files not apache and webdev. The issue is further
compounded when a user logs in via ftp and adds files or folders. They are
owned by the ftp user and group.
Any assistance appreciated.
	Thanks.
	Dave.