[CentOS] Remote backup of server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:45:56 UTC 2009

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> I want mount directory of one server to another over internet. I was
>> looking to NFS4, but there are no security mechanisms. I need
>> encrypted connection using private key (something like SFTP).
>>
>> Or - if there is in CentOS repo (or EPEL) package, that can mount
>> directory over internet using private key and make differential backup
>> (like rdiff-backup).
>>
>> Thank you very much for links or other resources work up
>
> Why not just use rsync over ssh?

Backuppc is ideal for this - it not only uses rsync over ssh for the
xfer (along with some other choices) but it keeps the files compressed
and uses hardlinks to de-duplicate the storage so you can keep a much
longer history on line than you would expect.  There's an rpm in epel,
home page is here: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com