[CentOS] updated postfix and dovecot rpms?

Oliver Ransom oliver at ransom.com.au
Tue Sep 8 00:48:41 UTC 2009

On 07/09/2009, at 6:38 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 01:19 -0400, Dave wrote:
>> Hello,
>> 	Does anyone have updated postfix and dovecot rpms either in a repo
>> or personally made? I'd like to update to dovecot 1.2.4 and postfix
>> 2.6.5.
>
> dovecot 1.2.4 is available from the atrpms repository (probably in
> testing or bleeding), regarding postfix I have no idea if even Simon
> does not have 2.6 packages on http://postfix.wl0.org/ - but he has
> instructions which might help you build it yourself.
>
> I'm curious as to why you need those versions.

I was forced to upgrade Dovecot on my Centos 4 server. With about 400
users checking email via POP3 I was having weekly issues where Dovecot
would leave a blank line at the top of peoples mail spool (in mbox
format I think?), which would generate errors in their email client.
Upgrading to the later atrpms.net version resolved that problem but
left me with a dovecot service that crashed every few months. A script
to restart dovecot when it crashed was preferable to manual
intervention require more often to remove blank lines from users mail
file though so I've left it as is.

I suspect the initial problem may actually have been the email clients
fault (disconnecting too early after deleting messages perhaps?), but
at the end of the day I'm the one blamed for it and was able to
accommodate it so I did something about it!

Cheers,
Oliver