[CentOS] Virtualizing an existing Centos 5.x installation

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 01:37:59 UTC 2009

The process we have been looking at goes something like this:
- Create the new VM machine with required hardware specs, then add a
second SCSI drive.
- Install a base install of CentOS onto the 2nd SCSI drive and boot to
it (you could skip this and use a rescue CD, but having the full
install makes some things much easier)
- While running from the clean CentOS install, rsync all the files
from the old server into the VM at the correct locations on the OTHER
scsi drive
- Update grub and initrd on the rsynced install
- Reboot into the rsynced install

Those are the general procedures.  You'll have to experiment to make
sure you've got everything taken care of.