[CentOS] What are you doing right?

Phil Lembo

phil.lembo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:21:39 UTC 2009

I'm a sysadmin by trade, so in my daily work I get to try out all kinds of
new technology including operating systems. Over the last year I've noticed
that many other distros won't run on some of my hardware (e.g. a Thinkpad
T61, Dell E510, GX620) at work and home. But CentOS does. Without fail.
Every time (well, there's that old Dell Inspiron 1200 that sits in the
kitchen... but we won't go there). Last night I had a hard disk crash on one
of my home boxes, so I decided to use it as an opportunity to try out
another well known RHEL clone that is also currently at v5.3. Although the
md5sum on the disk checked out it wouldn't even boot. I then tried their
Live CD. Still no good. So for good measure I tried the latest (v9.x) from
another project (you know, the one with the orange and brown color scheme).
NG.

So the question is, what is CentOS doing *right*?

A very sincere thanks to the CentOS project team for all their hard work in
making a distro I know I can always rely on.