[CentOS] Excessive NFS operations

Chris Murphy chris at castlebranch.com
Thu Sep 10 14:14:18 UTC 2009

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>> Do you have anything running that would try to read all the files and build a
>> search index - like beagle?   There's also the nightly run of updatedb but that
>> just reads the filenames and normally nfs mounts are excluded.
>>

>  There is no package beagle installed, I don't know if any other software
>  doing this is part of a standard CentOS install. Definitely not updatedb,
>  mlocate.cron runs once a day in the early morning, but the load pattern
>  we see is a continuous increase.

We had a similar issue with 100 CentOS 5 and Fedora 7 desktops mounting
their $HOME directories from a Centos 4 server.  We would see a steady
(perfectly linear) increase of getattr and lookup requests from the time
users logged in until they shutoff their machines (logging off stopped
the linear growth but didn't always bring the number of requests down).
Running hundreds of dstats and straces finally showed that the gamin
package on each of the clients was causing all of the requests and
simply killing that single process would instantly drop the getattr
requests from 200 a second down to 3 or 4 a second where it should be.
That was 200 per client so you can imagine how bad it would get! We
rebuilt the gamin-0.1.9-5.rpm package and deployed it to all of the
machines. We instantly saw improvement and we currently average 3
getattr requests a second. I don't know if this will help your situation
but maybe someone will benefit.

Chris