[CentOS] Centos 4.7 supports two CPUs?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Sep 10 17:08:56 UTC 2009

Luis campo wrote:

> Hello people
>
>  I currently have a ML370 G4 server with a CPU in centos 4.7, this server
> has the ability to add another CPU.
>
>  the question is, Centos can recognize the second CPU? and if so, is there
> any special configuration to be performed.

Just need a SMP kernel if you don't have one already (run uname -a and
look for the 'smp' tag). You can do cat /proc/cpuinfo to see, you
may already have a SMP kernel if it's a 370, I suspect the system is
probably hyperthreaded which will trigger the installer to install a
SMP kernel during installation.

Beyond that no special configuration. CentOS 5.x I believe doesn't
have a distinction between SMP and non SMP, all kernels are SMP aware.

nate